Thursday, August 16, 2012

Elvis Death Day

Today marks the 35th anniversary of Elvis' death. Here's an exerpt from my article in the August issue of Grease magazine. For the full article, head to your local mechanic's shop, tattoo parlour, favorite bar, or restaurant and pick up the current issue of Grease Inc. magazine!
It wasn't until the Summer of '54 when at the suggestion of Sun Records founder, Sam Phillips, that Elvis got together with guitarist Scotty Moore and bassist Bill Black. Moore recalls, He had on a pink shirt, pink pants with white stripes down the legs, and white shoes. I thought my wife was going to go out the back door! People just weren't wearing that kind of flashy clothes at the time."  
Commenting on his own guitar playing, Scotty Moore said, "All I can tell you is I just stole from every guitar player I heard over the years. Put it in my data bank. And when I played that's just what come out. But what really sets [our] recording apart is Elvis’s vocal, which soars across a wide range and expresses both a youthful humor and a boundless confidence. The overall feeling the song communicates is one of limitless freedom.”


No comments:

Post a Comment